OpenStack is a free platform for cloud computing. This open-source platform is used as an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) solution. A vast series of multiple projects is excellently integrated to provide the best control over various operations like processing, networking resources and storage throughout a Datacenter.
- Easily Manageable: The users can effectively and easily manage these operations with virtual commands using web-based Dashboard, command line tools or even RESTful API. It is extremely useful for the organization who need cloud computing services running on standard hardware.
- Compatible with multiple technological interfaces: It can work perfectly well with multitude of technological interfaces used for hosting like virtualization technologies, bare metal servers and HPC (High Performance Computing) configurations. They have multiple choices for hypervisor technology like VMware, Xen and KVM. ).
- Effective options for storage system: Swift (OpenStack Object Storage is a redundant storage system with multiple disk drives to write files and objects using OpenStack Software. In case the hard drive or server fails, open stack can use new location in the cluster to replicate and store the data from other active nodes.
- Compute (Nova): It is a cloud computing fabric controller. Vast pools of computer resources are managed and automated by Compute (Nova) which is specifically designed for the purpose. It can seamlessly work with wide variety of virtualization technologies as well as physical hosting devices.
- Block Storage (Cinder): It provides powerful storage block level devices that can be used with Open stack Compute instance. Its main functions include managing creation, and attaching and detaching of block devices to the server. It is fully integrated to that allows users to manage their own storage needs. It can use multiple storage platforms including but not limited to Linux, Ceph, CloudBte, Coraid, XIV storage system, SAN Volume Controller, etc.
- Networking (Neutron): For effectively managing networks and IP addresses. It eradicates the limiting factors in cloud deployment. The users get an enhanced ownership of their networks being able to create, control and connect servers to, their own network.
- Dashboard (Horizon): It facilitates the administrators and users to provision, access and automate the cloud0-based resources. For the maximum flexibility it is designed to accommodate various third party product and services like billing, monitoring, and various other management related tools. The dashboard can be customized to include the brand of the service provider and others who want to use the product for commercial purposes.
- Identity Service (Keystone): It is a common authentication system across the entire cloud operating platform and can be easily integrated with existing backend directory services like LDAP. The clients are given a large variety of login process methods like token-based systems, AWS-style (Like Amazon Web Service) or classic username and password method of login. Client can also decide the access level he wants to give to a user by choosing the desired functional access.
- Openstack Image Service (Glance): It offers registration, discovery and delivery services for the images on disk and server. The stored images can be used as templates. The client can also create unlimited backup for stored images.